Sunday, May 6, 2012

9pm and "Sunburn" Sunny

It's seriously 9pm right now and I could get a sunburn/have one. No big deal. hahaha Last night I had a few hours of sleep and woke up a bit too early with the sunshine. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some sleep soon...

Yesterday morning I boarded the Alaska Railroad train in Anchorage and happened to sit next to a guy from Washington with an ATV helmet and found out that I'll be working with him all summer! We chatted a bit over the 9 hour train ride and it was just comforting to know I wasn't entering into this adventure alone. He shared similar feelings of anxiety and excitement. The train ride was absolutely gorgeous and I didn't sleep because I was too afraid I'd miss something stunning like these views:
Mt. McKinley, the tallest mountain in North America on a "clear" day! Typically the weather is bad and people have difficulty seeing the mountain. I was blessed!

 The view of the train!
Two Dall Sheep resting on the side of a mountain! Not to mention, I saw a moose, but the train was moving so fast that I couldn't take a picture in time.
---
Our managers picked us up from the train station and we headed to our new home. I moved into my little room, met what felt like a TON of new people, and we went out and explored the town.

Today I went on a 6 hour hike with 3 new friends/co-workers and here is what I saw:
 Moose tracks! It looks small here but it may have been slightly larger than the bear paw below... We also saw a moose from a distance.
 A bear track and a few small cub tracks as well, no bear sightings though.
 Mt. Healy! It was a beautiful sight and we plan to summit it when the snow melts.
Those are some glimpses into my life so far. I'm exhausted and sunburned, but am happy to get my vitamin D fill. :) I'll be posting some prayer requests VERY soon. But for now, please pray for my transition. It's a bit more of a culture shock than I expected. :) haha More on that later.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Alaska is even more gorgeous than I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting, Danielle!! I will definitely pray for your transition - I can't wait to hear more. I love your pics - it's as beautiful as I imagined and now I miss it! Stay safe and I hope you continue to have great adventures!! <3

    ReplyDelete